New York dominated the 2009 Spirit Awards, announced last Saturday at the 7th annual Tales of the Cocktail, the internationally acclaimed festival of cocktails, cuisine and culture held annually in New Orleans. This year’s five-day event took place July 8-12. Spirit Award winners received exclusive Riedel Crystal awards.
New York City’s PDT lounge was named the World’s Best Cocktail Bar, and PDT co-owner Jim Meehan was awarded American Bartender of the Year. New York’s Pegu Club won Best American Cocktail Bar, while Brooklyn’s Clover Club won World’s Best New Cocktail Bar.
Challenging New York’s supremacy was The Merchant Hotel of Belfast, Northern Ireland, which took three top honors: World’s Best Hotel Bar, World’s Best Drink Selection and World’s Best Cocktail Menu.
Following are the 2009 Spirit Award Winners.
- World’s Best Drinks Selection: The Merchant Hotel (Belfast)
- Best American Cocktail Bar: Pegu Club (NYC)
- World’s Best Cocktail Bar: PDT (NYC)
- World’s Best New Cocktail Bar: Clover Club (Brooklyn)
- World’s Best Hotel Bar: The Merchant (Belfast)
- American Bartender of the Year: Jim Meehan (PDT)
- International Bartender of the Year: Tony Conigliaro
- Best New Cocktail/Bartending Book: The Essential Cocktail (Dale DeGroff)
- Best Cocktail Writing: David Wondrich
- Best New Product: Bols Genever
- World’s Best Cocktail Menu: Merchant Hotel (Belfast)
- Best American Brand Ambassador: Simon Ford (Plymouth Gin)
- Helen David Lifetime Achievement Award: Peter Dorelli