Participating restaurants feature one or more paired food-and-beverage items on their menus. These pairings may be alcoholic or non-alcoholic, and may involve a one-of-a-kind dish, the chef’s signature specialty, or a prix fixe menu. In addition to food and wine pairings, pairings with spirits, specialty cocktails, beers and other beverages will be available.
Look for the Perfect Pairings fork and bottle logo or ask your server for the special menus. For each pairing ordered, a portion of the proceeds will go to Meals on Wheels.
To give you a sense of the diverse Perfect Pairings, following are two menus from Nobu and Vertical Wine Bistro.
Nobu will offer guests 6 pairings to choose from, available in each of the restaurant’s rooms:
- In the Bar & Lounge, Lamb Anticucho is paired with a Mia Margarita.
- The Sushi Bar features a ceviche-like Whitefish Tiradito for two, plus a pair of Matsuhisa Vodka Martinis; and a food+food pairing of Kumamoto Oysters with choice of Toro, Salmon or Yellowtail Tartar and caviar.
- From the Hot Kitchen, Wagyu Beef pairings in Dango (sweet dumplings), Taco, or Gyoza (Japanese potstickers); and a “surf and turf” Lobster & Beef Tenderloin pairing with Garlic Shiso Butter Shabu Shabu.
- For dessert, Nobu pairs Red Velvet Cake with Chocolate Ginger Sake; and a Pistachio Soufflée with Vanilla Mochi.
Pasadena’s Vertical Wine Bistro will feature three pairings, selected by Executive Chef Doug Weston:
- Ground Short Rib Burger with Onion, Lettuce, Tomato, Thousand Island Dressing, and Vacherin Mont d’Or Cheese; paired with Brauerei Heller-Trum Smokebeer (Germany).
- Housemade Pappardelle with Pork Ragoût and Wild Mushrooms, paired with the 2007 Yann Chave “Classique” Crozes-Hermitage Syrah.
- “Not’ Cho Supreme” made with Pork Ragoût, Epoisses, Diced Tomato, and a Poached Egg, paired with an Old Fashioned Cocktail.
Speaking of cocktails, when guests order Perfect Pairings cocktails made with Patrón Tequila, Ultimat Vodka or Pyrat XO Rum (Margaritas, Martinis and Mojitos come to mind, natch), the Patrón Spirits Company will make an additional donation to St. Vincent Meals on Wheels.
Participating restaurants include:
- The Bazaar by José Andrés
- Bistro LQ
- The Blvd at Beverly Wilshire
- Chaya (Brasserie, Downtown, Venice)
- Comme Ça
- FIG at the Fairmont Miramar
- Foundry on Melrose
- Gordon Ramsay at the London
- The Hungry Cat
- Joe’s Restaurant
- Katsuya (Brentwood, Glendale, Hollywood, LA Live)
- Nobu (West Hollywood)
- Pizzeria Ortica (Costa Mesa)
- RH at Andaz
- Vertical Wine Bistro
- XIV by Michael Mina
For more information and a complete list of participating restaurants, visit www.perfectpairings.org
You can also follow Perfect Pairings on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
About St. Vincent Meals on Wheels
St. Vincent Meals on Wheels is the largest privately funded Meals on Wheels program in the country, delivering nutritious meals to more than 2,600 clients a day. Since 1977, SVMOW has delivered life-saving meals and warm greetings to homebound and hungry seniors and disabled or seriously ill adults across Los Angeles — from Skid Row to West Hollywood and the Hollywood Hills to South L.A. The organization also helps clients who are unable to live alone by referring them to medical care and social services. St. Vincent Meals on Wheels serves anyone in need regardless of age, race, illness, disability, religion or ability to pay.