Last month, 320 Main was the setting for a tiki showdown of epic proportions: Don vs. Vic, a head-to-head battle between the cocktails of Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic. The clash of tiki titans was the second edition of 320 Main’s Tiki Night series, which is taking place at the Seal Beach restaurant on the last Monday of every month.
Don vs. Vic was packed with thirsty tiki enthusiasts and cocktailians, including Eric Alperin (The Varnish), Allan Katz and Danielle Crouch of Caña, Dave Stolte (Home Bar Basics), Joby Bednar (TikiGeeki.com) and Ereich Empey (Musings on Cocktails).
The tiki battle would pit Don against Vic in three cocktail rounds, as well as a punch round. 320 Main proprietor Jason Schiffer and LA’s own Marcos Tello (1886) were behind the main bar, while Matt Robold (RumDood) was manning the punch station. Guests could vote for their favorites in each round by dropping tickets in bowls, which entered them in a raffle for various prizes at the end of the night. In order to sample every cocktail, most people teamed up and tasted each other’s drinks. The setup made for a fun, interactive session; debates could be heard throughout 320 Main as the evening progressed and the rum started to work its magic.
Following is a list of the four Don vs. Vic rounds, including the winner of each round as chosen by popular vote.
- Q.B. Cooler – Appleton Reserve Jamaican Rum, DonQ Anejo Rum, El Dorado 12yr Rum, Lime Juice, Orange Juice, Honey Syrup, Falernum, Ginger Syrup, Angostura
- Mai Tai – Appleton 12yr Jamaican Rum, Clement VSOP Rum, Creole Shrubb,Lime Juice, Orgeat, Rich Simple Syrup
- WINNER: Mai Tai (Trader Vic)
- Dr. Funk – Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum, Lime Juice, Pernod Absinthe, Grenadine
- Tortuga – Lemonhart 151 Rum, Ron Matusalem Platino Rum, Italian Vermouth, Crème de Cacao, Orange Curacao, Lemon Juice, Lime Juice, Orange Juice, Grenadine
- WINNER: Dr. Funk (Don the Beachcomber)
- Zombie – Appleton Reserve Jamaican Rum, Ron Matusalem Platino Rum, Lemonhart 151 Rum, Lime Juice, Lemon Juice, Pineapple Juice, Demerara, Angostura
- Fogcutter – Appleton Reserve Jamaican Rum, Barsol Pisco, Plymouth Gin, Orgeat, Lime Juice, Lemon Juice, Sherry Float
- WINNER: Zombie (Don)
- Cinerama Luau Punch – Appleton Reserve Jamaican Rum, White Wine, Orange Curacao, Pineapple Juice, Orange Juice, Lime Juice, Lemon Juice
- Scorpion Bowl – Ron Matusalem Platino Rum, Brandy, Orgeat, Lemon Juice, Orange Juice
- WINNER: Scorpion Bowl (Vic)
The people had spoken, and the results were in: Don vs. Vic ended in a tie! But really, everyone who was at 320 Main that night was a winner. Tasting legendary tiki cocktails with friends old and new, is there a better way to spend a summer night?
Tiki Night wasn’t quite over yet, however. Some of us indulged in a round of bowling:
The next Tiki Night is on Monday, July 18th and the theme is the Tropical Drinks of Cuba. All drinks will feature Bacardi 1909 and will be priced at $8.
Following is the cocktail menu for Tiki Night 3:
- Hemingway Daiquiri
- Pina Colada
- El Presidente
- Bacardi Cocktail
- Mary Pickford
As with previous Tiki Nights, $4 hot dogs will be available and DJ Ken Caldretti will be providing the grooves.
Tiki Night: Tropical Drinks of Cuba
Monday, July 18, 2011
- Jason Schiffer, Matt Robold and Marcos Tello
- Classic tiki drinks with Bacardi 1909 ($8)
- LA and Chicago-style hot dogs ($4)
320 Main Street
Seal Beach, CA 90740