On Saturday, May 5th, the Los Angeles Athletic Club presents its 2nd Annual “Hold Your Horses” Kentucky Derby Viewing Party. Taking place on the LAAC’s newly re-designed 3rd floor, the party will feature the races screening live, onsite betting and equine-inspired games. Hat designer Pooka Queen will be showcasing her original creations, and live bluegrass will be performed by the Bastards of Belleville.
Of course, what would Derby Day be without the Mint Julep? “Hold Your Horses” has you covered with a “100 Years of the Mint Julep” menu created by Marcos Tello. Among the historic cocktails:
- Gin Julep: “Truly one of the first Julep variations on record, this one comes to us by way of Harry Johnson’s 1882 bar manual. A lovely combination of ‘Holland’s Gin,’ demerara sugar, mint & pineapple.”
- Georgia Julep: “As our nation grew with the Industrial Revolution, so did our palates and ‘French Brandy’ was the choice of juleps for many years. Combining Cognac, Peach Liqueur, mint & Jamaican Rum.”
- Kentucky Julep: “It was indeed the ‘whisky’ variation that defined The Kentucky Derby. Served lavishly with Bourbon, sugar, mint & berries.”
Included in the ticket price is a Kentucky Derby-inspired buffet, featuring: assorted canapés, pulled pork sandwiches, Kentucky hot brown sandwiches, garlic truffle fries, bourbon glazed chicken wings and shrimp and corn fritters. Dessert will include pecan tarts and cream cheese and chocolate fudge brownies.
Following the event, guests can use their “Hold Your Horses” ticket stub for a complimentary cocktail at Seven Grand.
To purchase tickets, please call (213) 630-5255.
Hold Your Horses
Kentucky Derby Viewing Party
Saturday, May 5, 2012
Admission: $35/person (includes entry, complimentary Mint Julep, buffet)
- 100 Years of the Mint Julep menu by Marcos Tello
- Kentucky Derby-inspired buffet
- Live bluegrass by the Bastards of Belleville
- Games and prizes
Los Angeles Athletic Club
431 West 7th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90014