Recipes are now being accepted for the 2nd Annual Jimmy Barela Award and Cocktail Competition, sponsored by Plymouth Gin. The competition, which takes place on Repeal Day (Sunday, December 5), is open to bartenders working in Los Angeles and Orange County. The award is named after Jimmy Barela, the legendary bartender who held court at Cole’s Red Car Bar for 65 years, from 1918 to 1983. Last year, the inaugural award went to Julian Cox (Rivera, Test Kitchen), who won the competition with his G.T. Foam Home cocktail.
- Recipes must be submitted by 12pm on Friday, Dec. 3rd by emailing Chris Bostick: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10 recipes will be selected for the competition. Contestants will be notified by 6pm on Friday, Dec 3rd.
- When submitting recipes please be as thorough as possible. Please list all ingredients and measurements, type of glass, garnish, etc. Also, please list the name of the bar(s) where you currently work.
- NOTE: If you’re submitting a recipe, you must be able to attend the competition on Sunday (4-7pm at The Varnish) if you’re selected.
- All cocktails must use at least 1.5 ounces of Plymouth Gin.
- No more than 5 ingredients are to be used per cocktail (not including garnish).
- Homemade ingredients and specialty items are allowed, but must be provided by the contestant. The same goes for off-the-wall spirits and modifiers. Once recipes are submitted and then selected, contestants will be informed if they need to bring their own spirits, modifying spirits or bitters.
- Basic juices will be provided (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit).
- Glassware and hand-cut ice will also be available.
- Four cocktails are to be made within 10 minutes: 3 for judges, 1 for photo.
- Judging will be conducted blind by a panel of esteemed members of the cocktail community.
- Winners will be announced to the public at the Seven Grand Repeal Day Celebration later that evening (see below).
Prizes: 1st Place is $500 cash, 2nd & 3rd Place prizes TBA the day of the contest.
Seven Grand Repeal Day Celebration
With all due respect to Jimmy Barela, his namesake award and cocktail competition are merely a preamble to the Repeal Day Celebration taking place later that night at Seven Grand. Plymouth Gin is also sponsoring this event, which will feature $6 Plymouth Gin cocktails (yes, you can have a gin cocktail at Seven Grand), “Craps” and “Blackjack” in the Jackalope Room, free Cole’s French Dips, and live entertainment by Big Willie’s Burlesque.
Repeal Day Celebration
Sunday, December 5, 2010
Doors at 8pm
- $6 Plymouth Gin cocktails
- “Gambling” for prizes
- Live entertainment by Big Willie’s Burlesque
- Free Cole’s French Dips, fedoras and boas (while supplies last)
- 1920s attire encouraged
515 W. 7th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90014