On May 5, 1862, the Mexican Army defeated the occupying French forces at the Battle of Puebla. Although Cinco de Mayo is of limited national significance in Mexico, here in the States and elsewhere, it’s a day to celebrate Mexican culture by imbibing some of its finest exports. Like bars and restaurants all over town, some of L.A.’s favorite cocktail destinations will be hosting special events.
Following are a few of today’s festivities, as well as links to other Cinco de Mayo roundups. Salud!
Santa Monica, CA 90401
- Broadway Block Party
- $5 margaritas at Copa d’Oro, Bar Chloe, Ma’kai, and The Yard
- More info at the Facebook event page
108 W. 2nd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90012
- $1 Casa Noble Tequila Shots from 5-7pm
- From 7pm, live music by Willie Martinez Y Mambo Loco with DJ Tatiana
- For every Casa Noble drink you purchase, you’ll receive a drawing card for special prizes to be awarded throughout the night.
- Prizes include: a night at the O Hotel, Casa Noble products and Edison gifts.
107 E. 6th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90014
- $4 Tecates
- $6 Margaritas
- $5 shots of El Jimador Blanco
- $6 shots of Herradura Antiguo
- $7 shots of Herradura Blanco
4326 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90029
- Cinco de Mayo cocktails: La Cucaracha, Semental Italiano, Battle of Puebla
- Cocktail specials: Herradura Silver Margarita ($4), Medicina Latina ($5)
- Pitchers: Herradura Silver Margarita ($25), Medicina Latina ($30)
- Shots: Oro Azul Reposado ($4), Oro Azul Añejo ($5), Arette Reposado ($4)
The Thirsty Crow
2939 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA
- $7 Corzo tequila shots
- $8 Cazadores Añejo margaritas
More Cinco de Mayo events:
Battle of Puebla image from Wikimedia Commons, used under a Creative Commons License.