On Sunday, November 13th, Christine England is hosting Tequila Against Cancer, a tequila tasting that will take place at Next Door Lounge. The event is raising funds for Enrico Caruso, who was recently diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer. Caruso (a healthy lifestyle advocate and lifelong nonsmoker) is well-known as a pioneer in the tequila industry’s organic movement.
In 2005, Caruso joined college friend Chris Melendez’s new venture, 4 Copas. The duo was the first to use agave nectar in their cocktails, and the 4 Copas Organic Margarita subsequently became a staple in craft cocktail bars. The tireless efforts of Melendez (as 4 Copas President/CEO) and Caruso (Senior Vice President and National Sales Director) came to fruition in 2007, when 4 Copas became the first tequila in history to be certified organic. Caruso later became the National Sales Director for Infinium Spirits, whose portfolio includes Corralejo and Casa Noble, another certified organic tequila.
Tickets to Tequila Against Cancer are $40 per person and can be purchased with cash at the door, or online via the event link below. Entry includes a tequila tasting and food. Pours include Herradura, Casa Noble, Milagro and Milagro Barrel Select, Fortaleza, Alquimia, and Karma. Guests can also place bids on items like rare tequilas, show tickets, restaurant gift certificates, and more. Among the great raffle prizes is a trip to Mexico for a tequila distillery tour!
The online auction items include:
- Casa Noble Single Barrel Añejo, one of only 24 bottles ever made.
- Herradura Seleccion Suprema (Bottle #201).
- Tequila Tasting for 6 in the Tequila Vault at Mas Malo.
- A “Learn to Bartend Like the Pros” session for eight people, presented by Joseph Brooke of Next Door Lounge.
- One hour of bowling (up to 6 people) and a Large Punch Bowl (serves 16) at The Spare Room.
- Queen of Tequila experience, including dinner for two and a bottle of rare tequila.
- Two-night stay in an ocean view room at Venice Beach Suites & Hotel.
England says it best on the event page: “So raise your glass and say, ‘Enrico we are here to give you our strength, support and encouragement – not just today, but every day. Thank you so much for what you have done for the industry and your friends. ¡Salud!’”
For more information, to purchase presale tickets, or to make a donation, please visit www.tequilaagainstcancer.myevent.com.
Update Nov. 8: This just in, a great event gets even better with the addition of Zahra Bates (Providence) behind the stick!
Update Nov. 10: If you show your proof of purchase of a ticket to Speed Rack LA (also taking place on the 13th), admission to Tequila Against Cancer is just $25!
Tequila Against Cancer
Sunday, November 13, 2011
- Tequila tasting and food (included with entry)
- Tequila cocktails
- Raffle and silent auction
$40 tickets: cash at the door, or via tequilaagainstcancer.myevent.com.
Next Door Lounge
1154 N. Highland Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90038
Enrico Caruso photo by James Weir.