After tasting through thousands of wines and spirits from around the globe, judges have announced the winners of the 2010 Los Angeles International Wine & Spirits Competition. Shortly after the repeal of Prohibition, the LA County Fair began awarding medals to the best of California wines. The competition began attracting wines from North and South America, Italy, and in 2002, expanded its entries to wines from around the world. The Extra Virgin Olive Oil competition was introduced in 2000, and the Spirits Category was added in 2007, including acclaimed entries such as this year’s Best of Show, Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve (15 Years Old). 2008 saw the premiere of the Wine World of Sports, featuring sports dignitaries-turned-winemakers such as Tommy Lasorda, who was awarded Best of Show with his Chianti Classico DOCG (2007).
The public will get its first opportunity to taste the medal winners this Saturday, June 19, at Wine & Cars Under the Stars, a fundraiser that benefits The Learning Centers at Fairplex. The wines will also be available for tasting at the annual L.A. County Fair, taking place Sep. 4 – Oct. 3, 2010.
For the full list of winners, visit lawinecomp.com/2010winners.
Spirits Best of Show: Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve KSBW (15 Years Old)
Spirits Best of Division
- 100% Blue Agave Tequila, Mexico: Batraspirits, Fat Ass Tequila Reposado
- Vodka: Winery Exchange, Esme
- Whiskey/Whisky: Buffalo Trace Distillery, Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve KSBW 15 years old
- Brandy: W. J. Deutsch & Sons, LTD., Landy XO
- Liqueurs: Frederick Wildman and Sons, LTD., Chartreuse Green
- Mixers: Demitri’s Bloody Mary Seasoning, Demitri’s Bloody Mary Seasoning- Extra Horseradish
Spirits Packaging Design: OXLEY Classic English Dry Gin
- Overall Package: Gold, Best of Show
- Container: Gold, Best of Show
- Special Jury Award for Unique Packaging: Gold, Best of Show
Wines – Best of Show
- LIMITED PRODUCTION: Kiona Vineyards & Winery, Ice Wine – Chenin Blanc, Red Mountain, 2008
- WINE WORLD OF SPORTS: Lasorda, Chianti Classico, Tuscany DOCG, 2007
- BORDEAUX COMPETITION: Château Montet, Bordeaux Rouge AOC France, 2008
- BORDEAUX SUPÉRIEUR COMPETITION: Château Marac, Pourquoi Pas Moi, Bordeaux Supérieur Rouge AOC France, 2005
- RED ($14.99 AND UNDER): Villa San Juliette, Petite Sirah, Paso Robles, 2008
- RED ($15.00 – $29.99): Armida Winery, Zinfandel, Poizin, Sonoma County, California, 2008
- RED ($30.00 AND UP): Prime Cellars, Cabernet Sauvignon, Midoriya Hills Vineyard, Napa Valley, 2007
- WHITE ($14.99 AND UNDER): Ganton & Larsen Prospect Winery, Pinot Blanc, Birch Canoe, Okanagan Valley VQA, 2008
- WHITE ($15.00 – $29.99): James Arthur Vineyards, Edelweiss, Nebraska, 2009
- WHITE ($30.00 AND UP): Dutcher Crossing Winery, Chardonnay, Stuhlmuller Vineyard, Alexander Valley, 2008
Photos courtesy LA Wine & Spirits Competition.