It feels like it’s been there forever, but that’s part of the magic of The Varnish: everything about the intimate space transports you to another era, from the perfectly executed cocktails to the live jazz piano. Adding to its allure is its low lighting and speakeasy-esque location inside Cole’s.
Never one to announce itself, The Varnish is quietly celebrating its Two Year Anniversary on Thursday, February 24th. Eric Alperin and Marcos Tello will be behind the bar, and guests can start the celebration with a complimentary glass of punch, made with Plantation Grand Reserve 5 Year Old Rum and Pierre Ferrand Ambre Cognac. The punch will be served until it runs out, which may not be long if word gets out, so early arrival is suggested.
And for a bit of hometown pride for one of the finest craft cocktail bars in the country, here are just a few of the accolades The Varnish has received since its debut:
- A.I.A. (American Institute of Architects), Winner, Best Bar/Lounge Design, People’s Choice, 2010
- Tales of the Cocktail Spirit Award Winner, Bar Room Brawl, People’s Choice, 2010
- Tales of the Cocktail Spirit Award Finalist, Best American Cocktail Bar, 2010
- Tales of the Cocktail Spirit Award Finalist, Eric Alperin, American Bartender of the Year, 2010
- Food & Wine, Top 100 Cocktail Bars, 2010, 2009
- Esquire Magazine’s Best Bars in America, 2010, 2009
- 2010 Hot List, 30 Hippest Bars Worldwide, Conde Nast Traveler
- Top 20 Retro Revival Bars, Travel & Leisure, 2010
- Best Los Angeles Bars & Cocktails, Imbibe Magazine, 2010
- Best Cocktails, City’s Best/Los Angeles, AOL.com, 2010
- Best of LA, Best Speakeasy, LA Weekly, 2010
- Los Angeles Magazine, Best of LA, Gourmet Ice, 2010
- Los Angeles Magazine, Best of LA, Speakeasy Style Bar, 2009
- Food & Wine, Best New Bars, 2009
- Los Angeles Magazine, Best New Bars, the Cocktail Bar, 2009
- Best Bar in Los Angeles, Angeleno Magazine, 2009
- Jonathan Gold – The New Cocktailians, LA Weekly, 2009
Happy Anniversary to The Varnish, and cheers to many more years of great cocktails!
Two Year Anniversary
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Doors at 7pm
Complimentary punch while it lasts
118 E. Sixth St.
Los Angeles, CA 90014